FACTS & TRIVIA
- The King ascends through the ranks, usually after being a duke or grand marshall.
- This years King is Jacques Miller Wallis, owned by Virginia Miller and Bruce Wallis.
- Jo Jo McWood is always the Captain, and now Captain Emeritus.
- The Queen is selected by secret ballot and announced only weeks before the parade, and is always a rescued/adopted female dog. Much like the Queen of Carnival, once selected her Majesty begins a whirlwind of activity - costume fittings, grooming, parties, media interviews, photo shoots, etc. (Queen does not necessarily ascend from a Duchess.)
- Every year the Krewe of Barkus donates the proceeds of the parade registration fees, merchandise sales, and ball profits to worthy animal welfare groups. These groups, most of whom volunteer to staff our events, are selected by the Board of Directors and must be non-profit 501(c)3 organizations actively engaged in animal welfare. Proceeds from Barkus 2005 benefited the Southern Animal Foundation, Looziana Basset Rescue, Friends of Jefferson Animal Shelter, Humane Society of Louisiana, Riverlands SPCA, Crescent City Rescue, Gulf Coast Doberman Rescue, Gulf South Golden Retriever Rescue, Proponents for Animal Welfare in St. Tammany (PAWS), and Tangipahoa Adopt A Rescue (TAAR). Proceeds from Barkus 2004 benefited Friends of Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter, Gulf South Golden Retriever Rescue, Humane Society of Louisiana, Jefferson SPCA, LA/SPCA, Louisiana Basset Rescue, Inc., Louisiana Search and Rescue Dog Team, Pearl River County SPCA, Proponents of Animal Welfare in St. Tammany (PAWS), Riverlands SPCA, Southern Animal Foundation, and Tangipahoa Adopt A Rescue (TAAR). Proceeds from Barkus 2003 benefited the Southern Animal Foundation, Humane Society of Louisiana, Tangipahoa Adoption and Rescue Organization, Riverlands SPCA, St. John Parish Animal Shelter, Jefferson SPCA, Old Gold Senior Dog Rescue, SpayMart, LA/SPCA, St. Francis Animal Sanctuary, GPA Greyhound Rescue, Louisiana Search & Rescue Dog Team, and Pearl River County SPCA. Proceeds from Barkus 2002 benefited the Humane Society of Louisiana, Southern Animal Foundation, SpayMart, Tangipahoa Adoption and Rescue Organization, Pearl River SPCA, LA/SPCA, Jefferson SPCA, and Louisiana Search & Rescue Foundation.
- VIP Reviewing Stand is located on balcony of Good Friends Bar, corner of St. Ann and Dauphine, where King & Queen are toasted by New Orleans city officials and other important humans. Reviewing stand occupancy is restricted because of space limitations. Admittance is by invitation only with a limited number of tickets available at $75 each. (12noon-5pm)
- Whitney VIP Tent, sponsored by Whitney National Bank, is located inside the park near the gates on North Rampart Street (entrance via park, gates closed). The Royal Court, as well as other VIPs, are treated to a private waiting area with food and drink, to await their royal promenade. Admittance is by invitation only with a limited number of tickets available at $50 each. Royal Ball Reserved Table of Ten, Top Dog, Leader of the Pack, and Lucky Dog registration levels include VIP tent passes. (10:30am-2pm)
- The Krewe of Barkus is a chartered, non-profit organization founded by Wood Enterprises, with the sole purpose of providing an entertaining parade for the human and canine citizens of New Orleans, and at the same time promoting adoption/rescue of homeless animals through our donations to animal welfare organizations.
- Krewe of Barkus is a real, licensed Mardi Gras krewe.
- Barkus is the dog equivalent of Bacchus.
Registration available online or packets available
at the following locations:
||812 Royal St
|Jefferson Feed, Pet & Garden Supply
||Jeff. Hwy. at Central Ave.
|Neighborhood Pet Market
||N. Carrollton & Bienville
Registration forms can be downloaded or you can register at our retail outlets listed above. Your completed registration can be faxed (credit card only) to 504/522.0239 or turned in at any of the above outlets.
Online registration click here
Mail to 1000 Bourbon St., Suite 317, New Orleans, LA 70116; Fax to (504) 522-0239
Proceeds benefit homeless animals through our donations to animal welf are organizations.
Krewe of Barkus is a real, licensed Mardi Gras Krewe.
Barkus is the dog equivalent of Bacchus.